Building Regulations Compliance

Posted On:

Building Regulations Compliance

Since April 2002, it has been mandatory for homes with replacement glazing in the UK to comply with Building Regulations. Anyone who installs replacement windows or doors must certify compliance with these regulations.

When having windows and doors replaced homeowners should ensure they obtain a Certificate of Compliance, which should be kept with all legal documents relating to the property. This could be needed later should you wish to sell your house.

Prior to the formation of Competent Person Schemes in 2002, installers had to submit a building notice in order to comply with Building Regulations. However, with the introduction of self-certification it has helped enhance compliance, reduce costs for installers and promote competence within the industry.

The principles of self-certification are based on giving installers the ability to self-certify that their work complies with Building Regulations without the need to submit a building notice.

Types of Building Work

Building Regulations approval is required for various different jobs around the home. You don’t need to obtain approval by yourself if you use an installer who is registered with a Competent Person Scheme.

Some examples of notifiable work include:

  • Replacement Windows or Door
  • New Bathroom Installations
  • Replacement Roof
  • Cavity & Solid wall Insulation

In the UK there are 7 different Competent Person Schemes for the replacement of windows and doors. These are:

[list updated June 2018]

Free CPS Registrations

Installations that require registration with a competent person scheme will cost installers £1.50 per notification. However, installers that become members of DGCOS and register installations will have their CPS notifications handled for free.

Contact DGCOS to find out more about free CPS notifications

After an installation has been completed and the installer has registered the customer with the Competent Person Scheme, the scheme will send a letter to the consumer along with a certificate. This certificate confirms that an authorised member of a Competent Person Scheme has carried out the installation and it meets the requirements of the scheme.

FENSA is the most recognised scheme and many solicitors ask homeowners to provide a FENSA certificate when they are in the process of selling their home. However, if a homeowner has a certificate from one of the schemes named above then this will meet relevant Building Regulations.

For further information on Competent Person Schemes, please visit the DCLG website.

By choosing an installer who is registered with a Competent Person Scheme you will be complying with relevant Building Regulations.

Your internet browser is not supported with this website. Download a free, up-to-date browser here. ×